Monday, June 9, 2014

My Tongue

"Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
(Ps 139:4)

What does this mean? That God knows what I say
before I say it? Well, yes. But there is more. He
knows it altogether. He knows where my angry
words spring from. Did you know that anger is not
an emotion? It is the effect of an emotion. Behind
the angry words are very tender feelings, like shame,
guilt, fear. God knows why I say what I say. Some
of my emotional baggage is tied to events from
childhood. God knows that. He is tender towards me,
not judging me. I am the one who sits in judgement!
"I shouldn't say that, it isn't Christian." I try harder.
I push down the tender feelings and they become
a volcano, ready to erupt under the right conditions.

Dear Christian reader, God is not "seeing" everything
about you so He can punish you! He wants to see
you walk in the freedom His Son purchased for you:

"If the Son has made you free, you shall be free 
indeed." (Jn 8:36)

How does your Papa God bring freedom?  It is
certainly not in anger through punishment! The
psalm we are in offers many clues. Stay tuned.
This is good stuff!

Thankfulness Corner:
Mountains of red in early sunlight.

No comments: