Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Biblical Meditation and Intimacy

Meditation is very popular today, but it is not
fruitful unless it is done from the Bible.

I will meditate on Your
     precepts,
And contemplate your ways.

Make me understand the way
     of Your precepts;
So shall I meditate on Your
     wonderful works.
Ps 119:15, 27

Many years ago a woman sat down with me and
taught me how to meditate in scripture. I was en-
raptured with what I learned when I took a verse
or two of a passage and pondered it until God
showed me what was within. I learned to write
out the things that I saw in the verse, to write
out a prayer and then to pray the truth back to
God, for others. I started a notebook which be-
came a journal for that year. I worked through
the 23rd and 139th Psalms and then I tackled
the book of Ephesians. I met with other women
to intercede for the church, the nation and the
world. We used the same format, shared what
we gleaned and then prayed. We stayed on tar-
get instead of getting lost in our own concerns.

As my children were growing up I taught them
how to do this and we worked through several
chapters of Proverbs. 'Wisdom' stood out for
my daughter and she gave a beautiful talk on
the subject of wisdom when she graduated
from High School.

What is my point? My point is that if you want
to know God, His character and His ways, and
if you want to hear Him, it has to be from His
book. Reading the Bible from cover to cover
is important, but if you want to see His heart it
is best to linger.

David says this in Psalm 1
Blessed is the man...whose delight is in the 
     Law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.

He shall be like a tree
     Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in
     Its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
     Psalm 1: 1, 2, 3

Reader, may I encourage you to sit down with
someone else and take the verses above and
ponder them, write out what you hear, what
you see? Share it with each other and with God.
Once you catch on you will find a big boost in
your quiet times!

(If any of my readers have used this way of
reading the Bible, would you share it in the
comments below? CB, that means you!)

No comments: