Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Book of...

Daniel. Well, I am digging into the Book of Daniel
everyday as I meet with other women once a week
for a Beth Moore Study. I invite you, dear reader,
to come with me on this rather extensive journey.
I promise that I will not go verse by verse!

First some background:

"In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah,
Nebuchadnezzar King of Babylon came to Jerusalem 
and besieged it." Daniel 1:1

The King of Babylon arrived in the third year and
departed with King Jehoiakim, his family, his officials,
all the mighty men of valor, and all the treasures of
Jerusalem including those in Solomon's Temple, in
the 11th year of the kings reign. It was a nine month
journey!

Babylon--some background
Babylon was built by Nimrod who was the power
behind the tower of Babel, where God intervened
by confusing the language and scattering the people.
(You remember the story of how a tower was being
built in order to reach into heaven so the people
could remain together.) The city of Babel was birthed
in rebellion. The fulfillment of this rebellion can be
found in the 17th chapter of Revelation. Babylon was
a seductive city and that is where God dropped His
people for 70 years.

I have given you very little background information.
Very little. The events concerning the time before,
during and after the Babylonian Captivity are recorded
in the following books:  2 Chronicles, 2 Kings, Ezra,
Nehemiah, Esther, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel,
Daniel, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi. Wow!

I hope to see you on this journey. You do know
that I pray for my readers, do you not?

Thankfulness Corner:
Long walk on a winter's morning with my
little Aussie, Jake.

Stories:





No comments: