Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Expectations vrs Expectancy

'But when it pleased God...'
(Galatians 1:15)

I woke up this morning thinking about my expectations. One
of my biggest problems is that I calculate and then expect a
certain outcome. I don't leave room for God to surprise me
Actually, I would rather not be surprised. I have expectations
for myself, for others, even for God. Invariably, I am
disappointed. Others need to change so I am more
comfortable. They do change--move on, go to work, get old
and sick, stop writing, die. Life is in flux and seems to dish
up more challenges, not fewer as I expected, in the so called
'golden years.' Disappointment can harden into 'bitter root'
expectations. Bitterness dams up hope and leaves God out of
the equation. Oh, that is the rub. Expectations kill expectancy.
I must not look for God to come in a certain way, but to look
for 'Himself' to show up.

Oswald Chambers puts it this way:
'Keep your life so constant in its contact with God that His
surprising power may break out on the right hand and on the
left. Always be in a state of expectancy, and see that you
leave room for God to come as He likes.'

May the grace of Christ our Savior
And the Father's boundless love,
With the Holy Spirit's favor
Rest upon us from above.

Thus may we abide in union
With each other and the Lord;
And possess, in sweet communion
Joys which earth cannot afford.
(John Newton)

No comments: