Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Counterbalance

Psalm 16 is one of my very favorites. It is short, but
full of worship and encouragement. I have taken just
one verse, verse eight for the year:

"I have set the Lord always before me;
because He is at my right hand,
I shall not be shaken."

I am a word person and so as I meditate on a verse
I will frequently look at the meaning of a word
out of Strongs Concordance and then check an old
dictionary whose compiler was Noah Webster
himself! If this drives you nuts scroll down to the
last paragraph where I write a personal note to you.

I looked at the word, 'set' and immediately thought
of setting something on a table. However, that is
not what the word means in Hebrew which is:
"To level, equalize, to counterbalance." Well, I
went to Webster to find the meaning of the term
'counterbalance' and found this: "An equal weight,
power, acting in opposition to anything." Seriously?
Is David saying that 'he sets the Lord before him
as a counterbalance?' My quest for answers took
me to 2 Corinthians 3:17, 18:

"Now the Lord is that Spirit and where the Spirit 
of the Lord is, there is liberty.
And we all, with open face beholding as in a 
glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the 
same image from glory to glory, even as by the 
Spirit of the Lord." (KJV)

So, what is meant by 'glass?' Well, it means, "to 
mirror oneself, to see self, reflected. A mirror. It
signifies an earnest continued inspection." Sort of
like my taking a hand mirror to make sure my
make-up is on correctly. Are you cringing yet? Is
it the focusing on self and ones sins? NO!

Throughout the letters of Paul there is an emphasis
on the fact that we, as Believers, are in Christ. If this
is in fact true, who do we see when we gaze into the
mirror of His Word? We see Christ in all of His glory
gazing back at us!!!!!

Dearest reader, the promise here is that as you spend
time in His presence, pondering His Word, you will
be changed from one degree of glory to another.
What an incentive to throw out your resolutions
and just dwell in Him!

I found an uplifting piece on You Tube--remember,
we will see Him face to face sooner than you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ovSaoWpOM














No comments: