Friday, May 24, 2013

The Younger Son

The younger son is a piece of work. He is every
dad's nightmare. He took his inheritance and went
to a far country and squandered it on riotous living.
He was reckless and soon came into need. He
became a hired hand, but was not given anything
to eat...

"But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many
of my father's hired servants have more than enough
bread, but I perish here with hunger. I will arise and
go to my father and say to him, "Father, I have sinned
against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy
to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired
servants.''' And he arose and came to his father."
(Luke 15: 17-20)

The Prodigal Son remembers that his father's hired
servants have enough to eat. He reflects on the table
set for the hired hands, one loaded with food. He
carefully plans his re-entry with a speech that should
impress his Dad. He sets the conditions for his re-
entry into the family.

He comes knowing he is no good, a failure, unworthy
of sonship.

So the son comes home...
(Don't skip tomorrow because you think you know
the story!)

No comments: