Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

I read a column on Mother's Day in the newspaper
yesterday, after sending Glen off to Germany. In it
a young woman with small children and a busy husband
was given advice on how to have a happy Mother's Day.
"First you lower your expectations. Then you lower
these expectations further, and finally, you lower even
your lowest expectations."

Expectations have always been my problem. I have
discovered over the years that high expectations end
in disappointment and self-pity. Our culture hypes the
day which can make it worse. This past Mother's Day
I joined with another woman who was celebrating the
day alone and we enjoyed the gorgeous weather with
a hike in a state park, followed by an early dinner on
our deck surrounded by tubs of lovely spring blooms.
I had a wonderful Mother's Day!

No comments: