Tuesday, October 23, 2012

From Fear to Faith


Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching 
and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual
songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (Col. 3:16)

Papa is wooing me toward Him through our times together in scripture. 
I can be going my own way, doing my own thing, or desperately trying to
“get everything done,” when that quiet voice inside, or the words of a friend,
(even those of a daughter!), rein me in and I come into balance. I can see 
things from an eternal perspective because His word does dwell in me richly.

When I think about the word, “admonish,” it feels harsh, but how does Paul
put it? “...teaching and admonishing each other with psalms, hymns, and 
spiritual songs.” Dear reader, don’t you find that odd? Does genuine joy and
singing bring a more penetrating rebuke than a verbal confrontation over
something?  Does joyful singing demonstrate a level of faith that is not often
seen in the church who seems mired in fear? Now remember that Paul is 
writing to a church, not an individual person. It was a small fellowship growing
in the midst of increasing persecution. They came together daily to sing and 
share their victories with one another. Fear was banished and they went home
with gladness of heart. Hum...maybe we as believers should be meeting together
more often so that we, too, can grow in faith instead of fear...

Well, you can see how my meditations tend to wander all over the place, but 
hopefully by the end, hearts have been encouraged. Such is my prayer.

Go back into the website to read some stories you may have missed.

No comments: