Monday, December 5, 2011

Two Kingdoms


...giving thanks to the Father who has made us fit for sharing the portion of the saints in light, who has delivered us from the authority of darkness, and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love:  in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins...           Col 1:12,13 Darby
The first thing I notice is that the verses are in the past tense:  has made, has delivered and has translated us into another kingdom--in whom we now have redemption.  It is the Father who has made us fit through the redeeming work of his Son.  The scripture shows two groups of people.  No other groups are mentioned.  Just two.  The first group is living under the authority of darkness, and the second group is living in a kingdom of light and love.  Both groups get dressed in the morning, eat breakfast and go about their daily routine.  Both groups are made up of singles, of marrieds; the healthy and the sick; the rich and the poor.  Not only that but neither group may be aware of which kingdom they reside in.  It is not obvious to them, necessarily, nor to others.  Both kingdoms are part of another dimension and are invisible to the human eye.  The point for me as I read these verses is that once I was part of the kingdom of darkness, but then at a specific time I was transferred into the Kingdom of light.  But do I believe this deep down, really believe it?
My dear Papa,    These two verses are only part of one sentence...  I think I could spend days on it.  The past tense brings me back to what your Son did 2,000 years ago, and how I received the truth of His sacrifice for me; at which time I was transferred from darkness into light. As usual, I cannot get my mind around it. My senses are so aware of what is happening in my physical world and it is hard to change gears and contemplate a dimension that feels out of reach.  Paul grasped it so it must be possible for me also to perceive it and live in it now.  Yes, to live in it right now.  

No comments: