Tuesday, July 10, 2018

More on Solitude

God has made me a lonely person...I was always
a solitary soul, thinking more for, than with
people:  but it is good to be more alone--most
good, if it be more alone with Christ. What a
place that is!  John Darby

A little bird I am,
Shut from the fields of air;
And in my cage I sit and sing
To Him who placed me there;
Well pleased a prisoner to be,
Because, my God, it pleases Thee.
Jeanne Guyon  1648-1717

Reader, there will come a day when loneliness,
being misunderstood, rejection, will pass away
forever. There is a day coming when we will see
Him face to face. In the meantime He has said,
"I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Madame Guyon found herself in hot water from
an early age with both her mother-in-law and
the Catholic Church. Guyon was married off at
age fifteen by her parents. She was widowed at
age 28 having born five children, two of which
survived childhood.  She was imprisoned in
France because the Catholic Church thought her
teachings to be heretical. Guyon believed that sal-
vation is by grace alone and that it is possible to
pray without ceasing. Very radical!



No comments: