Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Behold The Lamb

God has given him a name which is above
every name  Philippians 2:9

Jesus! the name high over all,
In hell, or earth, or sky;
Angels and men before it fall,
And devils fear and fly.

Jesus! the name to sinners dear,
The name to sinners given;
It scatters all their guilty fear,
It turns their hell to heaven.

Jesus! the prisoner's fetters breaks,
And bruises Satan's head;
Power into strengthless souls it speaks,
And life into the dead.

O that the world might taste and see
The riches of His grace;
The arms of love that compass me
Would all mankind embrace.

His only righteousness I show,
His saving grace proclaim;
'Tis all my business here below
To cry: Behold the Lamb!

Happy, if with my latest breath
I might but gasp His name;
Preach Him to all, and cry in death:
Behold, behold the Lamb!
Charles Wesley 1707-88

Reader, 18,000 college students sang this hymn
at Urbana, IL  in 1967 just before we piled into
busses on New Year's Eve. I headed back to
Colorado. Every student generation IVCF had
a missionary conference which had grown from
3,000 students to the 18,000 in seven years. It
was amazing to be surrounded by so many voices
in worship. Glen and I both attended that con-
ference and committed to pray about going into
missions in the future. I met him in NYC in Jan-
uary of 1969 and in 1999 we joined MAI to help
plant churches by bringing communities into
health in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Wow!

I love this hymn! (only one was good enough to
send to you, but the organ and the singers are not
quite together. It was produced in London... I did
enjoy the majesty of it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeAYKG-8Ko


No comments: