Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The End of the Spear

They are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of 
Christ. (2 Corinthians 8:23)

"I walked out to the hill just now. It is exalting, delicious.
To stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree
with wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing
your heart, to gaze and glory and to give oneself to God,
what more could a (Christian) ask?

Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing
God on earth. I care not if I never raise my voice again
for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him.

Perhaps, in mercy, He shall give me a host of children
that I may lead through vast star fields to explore His
delicacies whose fingers' ends set them to burning. But
if not, if only I may see Him, smell His garments, and
smile into my Lover's eyes, ah, then, not stars, nor children,
shall matter--only Himself.  Jim Elliot

Reader, many of you have not heard of Jim Elliot who
was killed along with his four companions by the Auca
Indians of South America in 1956. Jim was but 29 and
as yet none of that tribe had been won to Christ. Shortly
after the massacre, many of the Auca Indians came to
Christ through the ministry of Jim's wife,  Elizabeth Elliot,
who wrote the book, Through Gates of  Splendor. The story
is dramatically told in a film called: The End of the Spear.
The full length movie made it to the local theaters and is
one of my favorites. I would say that the death of these
missionaries was the impetus for thousands deciding to
go to places where no one had heard of Jesus.

No comments: