Thursday, November 15, 2012

Prayer


Continue steadfastly in prayer being watchful in it with thanksgiving.”
(Colossians 4:2)

Prayer. What a huge subject! I am reminded of many years ago when
I struggled with the verse: “Pray without ceasing.” I could not imagine
how this was possible. At one point I attended a church whose goal was
to transform the city so we fasted and prayed all night in order to make
this happen. I went on a prayer journey to some very spiritually dark 
countries. What were the outcomes of these initiatives? God knows, but
I don’t.

In the last few years prayer has become something so natural, like breathing.
Often I am not aware that I am talking to God or that He is talking to me. It
can also be specific, urgent and emotional. The “steadfastly” part of the verse
means to me that I don’t stop praying, even while waiting years to see results.

My Dear Papa, My morning was so perfect today. There was the quiet sense 
of your presence as I went from one thing to another. How wonderful to 
experience this kind of prayer on the day I would be writing about it!

I pray for my readers. May they discover how much you desire their friendship 
and how you lean into them to listen when they speak. 

See “A Fairy Tale Wedding”

No comments: