Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Children, Obey..."


Children obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. 
(Colossians 3:20)

“To Obey” in Strongs: To conform to a command. To be below in an 
inferior position. To hear; to understand.

(I find it interesting that Paul uses the word “submit” in terms of the wife, 
and not the Greek word for “obey.” God does not regard married women 
as inferior--single ones either.)

Children are to be trained to listen and obey their parents but, according to
scripture, the weight falls on the Dads, “Fathers, do not provoke your 
children lest they become discouraged.” (Colossians 3:21)

Obedience does not come naturally to children. They too want to be in 
control and the toddler age depicts the battle very well. I saw this while 
visiting my children and grandson.

I watched Noah implode just before bedtime. His mother asked him to pick up 
his toys.  I watched as she picked him up and said:

“Noah, look at me”

(Noah looks away and screams.)

“Noah, I want you to look at Mommy.”

(Noah looks down and continues to cry.)

The words are repeated and the mother lifts his chin.

“Are you ready to stop crying?”

(The crying begins to subside and Noah nods slightly.)

“Are you ready to put away your toys now?”

( A “yes” follows--a word stretched out beginning low and ending high-- 
and Noah smiles)

See my NEW story:


No comments: