Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Swing

At three years of age I loved to swing and could get the thing going 
until it jerked as it went high. I would soon become Robert Louis Stevens greatest fan!
(How would you like to go up in a swing...?) One day my dad was pushing me,
but I was unable to hold on and he could not hear me so that 
suddenly I found myself flying backward off the swing and landing--on a nail. 
The whole incident is seared on my memory. As I  grew into adulthood
 the questions in the back of my mind were:

 “God if you are so powerful, why didn’t you stop it? 
Weren’t you there? 
Didn’t you care?” 

Then a couple of years ago I was waking up from a nap with that question 
on my mind and I heard a question. “What if I had been pushing the swing?”
In that groggy state between sleeping and waking, I began to imagine what
that would be like. I “saw” myself as a little girl on the swing with Jesus standing
 before me pushing. The little girl said “stop, I can’t hold on!” Jesus said, 
“why don’t you let go and I will catch you?” In my imagination I saw myself
leave the swing as it peaked and He caught me. We laughed and I wanted
to do it again, and again, and again. He has not answered my question of where He was 
and why He did not stop the accident, but the memory holds pleasure for me now.



To visit my website, click here

No comments: