Monday, March 5, 2012

Imagination

Not long ago it was pointed out to me that the word for MIND in two verses
could be translated as IMAGINATION. 
The first one is found in the Old Testament in Hebrew: 
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose IMAGINATION is stayed on Thee 
because he trusteth in Thee.  Is. 26:3
The second verse is from the New Testament in the Greek: 
“Jesus said unto him, ’Thou shalt love the Lord Thy God with all thy heart, 
and with all thy soul, and with all thy IMAGINATION.’” Matt. 22:37
Now this made me very uncomfortable at first as I had grown up with the idea that
my imagination was bad. But, as I pondered these two verses and heard some 
recent sermons on how our imagination can and should be used to worship God,
I became very interested in the command to “love God with my imagination.” I
certainly do not have any trouble painting pictures on my mind that bring fear
to my heart!  The icing on the cake, so to speak, came in the last few months of 
meditating on 2Cor 2:18 which speaks of “beholding the Lord.” 
This is my new challenge: to bring every thought or imagination captive and to turn
“my vain imaginations” into something that brings glory and honor to God. There is
something about being a child as I think about the area of imagination.  Joy?
 I am not finished thinking about this so there will probably be more posts...

No comments: