Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Depth of His Riches

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and
knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his
judgements, and his ways past finding out.
Romans 11:33

If you ask me how I know that the Lord is present,
since His ways are past finding out, my answer is
that the Word is living and active, and as soon as
ever He entered me, He aroused my sleeping soul,
and stirred and softened and pricked my heart,
that had been sick and hard as stone.

He began to pluck up and destroy, to build and plant, 
to water the dry places and shed light upon the dark, 
to open what was shut, to warm the chill, to make 
the crooked straight and the rough places plain; so 
that my soul has blessed the Lord and all that is 
within me has praised His holy Name.

Thus has the Bridegroom entered into me; my senses 
told me nothing of His coming, I knew that He was 
present only by the movement of my heart. I per-
ceived His power, because it put my sins to flight and 
exercises a strong control on all my impulses. I am 
moved to wonder at His wisdom too, uncovering my 
secret faults and teaching me to see their sinfulness; 
and I have experienced His gentleness and kindness 
in such measure as to astonish me.
Bernard of Clairvaux--The 12th Century

Reader, the rest of the thought in Paul's
stunning verse above is:

For who has known the mind 
   of the Lord?
Or who has first given to Him
   And it shall be repaid to 
     him? (Is 40:13; Job 41:11)

For of Him and through Him and to Him are 
all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen  
Hebrews 11:34-36





No comments: