Monday, April 16, 2018

A Sacrifice of Praise

Let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
Hebrews 13:15

An inner-city missionary, stumbling through the trash
of a dark apartment doorway, heard someone say, "who's 
there, Honey?" Lighting a match, he caught sight of 
earthly needs and suffering, amid saintly trust and peace. 
Calm, appealing eyes, etched in ebony, were set within 
the wrinkles of a weathered black face. On a bitterly cold
night in February, she lay on a tattered bed, with no fire, 
no heat, and no light. Having had no breakfast, lunch, or 
dinner, she seemed to have nothing at all, except arthritis 
and faith in God. No one could have been further re-
moved from comfortable circumstances, yet this favorite 
song of the dear lady played in the background.

Nobody knows the trouble I see,
Nobody knows but Jesus;
Nobody knows the trouble I see--
Sing Glory Hallelu!

Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down,
Sometimes I'm level on the grown',
Sometimes the glory shines around'--
Sing Glory Hallelu!

And so it continued: 
"Nobody knows the work I do, 
Nobody knows the griefs I have,"
until the last verse rose:

Nobody knows the joys I have,
Nobody knows but Jesus!
Sing Glory Hallelu

"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crush;
perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not
abandoned; struck down but not destroyed" 
2 Corinthians 4: 8,9
It takes these great Bible words to explain the joy
of this elderly black woman
William C Garnett 

Reader, this blog causes me to push the pause button.
We sing the verse above and try to put a good face
on the broken TV or the latest news, or a misunder-
standing. Maybe I should put the verse at the top of
the blog on my mirror or refrigerator...

No comments: