Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Simplicity

Living out the Christian life can be summed up in one
word, 'abide.' In John 15 our Lord unpacks that word
using a simple visual, the vine and the branch.

'I am the true vine--not a vine but the vine--, and my 
Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that 
does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch 
that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more 
fruit...'--Jesus explains one reason why we suffer.

'Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear 
fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can 
you unless you abide in me...'

'I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides 
in me and I in him,  he it is that bears much fruit, for 
apart from me you can do nothing...'
Get that? NOTHING!

'As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. 
Abide in my love...
These things I have spoken to you, that my 
joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.'

The word 'abide' is a fuller word than just resting or
dwelling. It encompasses health, joy, trust, love, depth,
conversation, intimacy, purity, gentleness, compassion,
fullness, contentment, fruitfulness.

Reader, John 15 is the core of the victorious, fruitful
Christian life. From God's perspective, 'no abiding, no
fruit.' Few get that! We rush to get through our 'to do'
list each day, and then fall exhausted into bed hoping
that somehow we have had a meaningful day, and we
have pleased God. My Dad had a favorite saying:
'Busyness is next to godliness.' His extended family
believed that also. They had no time for relationship
either with God or with each other. How sad.

Here is something to ponder this summer:
ABIDE, ABIDE, ABIDE.

No comments: