Tuesday, June 28, 2016

In a finished Work

I went back and read the previous posts. It appears
that I am repeating myself, but this subject keeps
coming up in my mind. So many miss the
marvelous truth of 'rest.'

God rested on the seventh day after six days of
        work.
Jesus said, 'It is finished,'
When He rose from the dead, He sat down.
We were in Him so when He sat down, we sat
      down.

Our rest of faith is in a finished work. When Christ
died, you died; when He was buried, you were
buried with Him; when He rose from the dead, you
rose to new life because you were in Him; when He
sat down at the right hand of God, you too entered
into rest. Our rest is made operational through faith.
(See Romans 6 for Paul's discussion on this.)

REST--
Cessation from motion, 
rest from labor, 
cease to be disturbed about anything, 
a state of reconciliation to God, 
quiet, repose

REPOSE--
To rest in confident trust, 
rest of mind, 
freedom from uneasiness, 
tranquility

I woke up this morning to anxiety. It is good to
pause and reflect on words like rest, repose.

'Come to me
all who labor and are heavy laden, and 
I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you, and 
learn from me, 
for I am gentle and lowly of heart, and 
you will find rest (repose) for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is 
       light.  
Matthew 11:28-30

Reader, I do believe that some of the most
uptight people I know are the Christians who
work to please God! Some of the most
productive Christians I have met are those who
know the secret of trust, rest, abide. It is not that
they are resting outwardly, but inwardly.



No comments: