Thursday, November 19, 2015

Who Can Discern?

In today's reading the psalmist is looking at
creation and shows how it declares the glory
of God. He uses word pictures that capture
my imagination. The middle of the psalm
focuses on the precepts of God which are
perfect, sure, right, pure. I feel clean in the
reading. He likens the just decrees of God to
fine gold and to the sweetness of honey.

Then he says this:

'Who can discern his errors?
Declare me innocent from hidden
       faults.
Keep your servant also from 
       presumptuous sins;
    let them not have dominion over me!
Then I shall be blameless,
        innocent of great transgression.

Let the words of my mouth and the
         meditation of my heart
    be acceptable in your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Ps 19:12-14

As a child I prayed the last verse but had little
understanding. Now I realize that what my heart
meditates on runs out of my mouth. For me it
is important to wallow in a verse, ponder it,
meditate in it, so that my speech brings life
not death to others.

No comments: