Friday, October 11, 2013

Gifts

Not long ago I heard about the book,
One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voscamp, and
I was intrigued. I ordered three copies. Ann
was not doing well emotionally and decided
to write out things she was thankful for until
she reached one thousand. I cried through the
first two chapters--and one or two of the others.
Ann's raw emotions and her style of writing
touched my heart. As she did this over a year's
time she discovered that God's gifts come in a
variety of packaging, but they are all good.

"Every good thing bestowed and every perfect
gift is from above, and comes down from the
Father of lights, with whom there is no
variation, or shifting shadow. (James 1:17)

God knew that my life was going to take a
sudden turn and how helpful it would be for
me to pay attention to my surroundings and
find little gifts hidden here and there.

I have started my list:
light dances on leaves over sun drenched lake
Ice falling into glass
A weeping Juniper tree
A splash of yellow against the dead
Fresh clean sheets

The list has become a diary of events over the
past couple of months. It is easy to let thankfulness
go as each day has so many twists and turns.
Stories:


No comments: