Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Afflictions

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
Psalm 34:19

I left on vacation just as I reached a verse that
stopped me in my tracks. Affliction has to do
with continual or often repeated pain, in body
or mind, losses, distresses, illness, calamity,
adversity, persecution. That list pretty much
covers life!

David, who has just gone through the fire and
who is now living in a cave in fear for his life,
says emphatically, "The Lord delivers." I want
to camp on these three words because as the
years add up so do the afflictions. The Lord is
my rock, my salvation. I will not fear; I will
not despair. Each day I have a choice: I can
slide under the covers in self-pity, or I can
face what is and go on. Some days I do tank,
but then God comes and gives me both courage
and strength. He delivers me!

I do not know anyone who is not facing
afflictions of some kind. Dear reader, how do
you handle them?

New story is up:


No comments: