Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Two Cups--Part 1


The Cup of Deep Sorrow
The past few weeks as I have considered the subject of grief,
I began to ponder Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. There
was this cup which then led me to another cup...
Jesus speaks to His Papa:
“My soul is very sorrowful even to death...
My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass
from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as
You will.  Matt 26:38,39
What is this cup Jesus speaks of? What is the brew  
bubbling up which is so overwhelming to Him, that He begs
His Father to remove it? Dear Reader, was this not the 
vileness of sin that our spotless Lord contemplates? Is the cup
not full of the rebellion and independence which captured the
imagination of our parents and spawned sin, death and destruction
ever since? The sorrow over this cup is so great our Lord sweats 
great drops of blood.
Papa, What is happening to You during those dark hours in Gethsemane?
How is it that your love for us, for me is so strong that you set before
your beautiful, holy Son, this cup, a cup of sorrow like no other?

No comments: