Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Two Dogs

Yesterday we looked at 'flesh' and 'Spirit.' I find it easy to
look at myself when I read a letter from Paul. I look to
see how I measure up. This is akin to eating off of the
Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Adam and Eve
did not fare well in this regard. When one checks his
own behavior, it is invariably measured in light of other
Christians. Paul would say to me, "By no means do I
mean for you to look at how your flesh is doing!"
God wants us to ask Him for help to know what He
wants us to lose--like a habit.

'But I say, walk in the Spirit, and you will not gratify
the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are 
against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are 
against the flesh and these are opposed to each other, 
to keep you from doing things you want to do. But if 
you are led by the Spirit you are not under law.'
Galatians 5:16-18

Back in my college days I read a little booklet called
Two of Me--the White Dog and the Black Dog. What
utter nonsense! I do not have a spirit of lust and a Spirit
of Life dwelling in me. The real me has become a new
Creation and is 100% righteous. (you doubt that?) The
HOLY Spirit INDWELLS me. However, when God
saved me, He did not save my flesh. Our flesh patterns
are developed as children and help us to cope with life,
stay safe, stay alive. Each of us has different flesh
patterns, some of which look pretty good. God, however,
wants to kill the flesh, and this is where the battle line is
drawn. The Christian is beset by 'the world, the flesh,
and the devil.' God uses these three things to bring us
into freedom!

Reader, the answer to a fruitful, dynamic, joy filled life
is very simple--but few 'get it.' 

No comments: