Sunday, June 5, 2016

Anguish

In the last blog we looked at King David and how he
wrote out six verses that have brought comfort to the
suffering over thousands of years. Today I want to
look at a prophet called Jeremiah who is known as the
'weeping prophet.' Had he known what was ahead,
would he have signed up? Whatever he said was
ignored and whatever he said came true which got
him into more trouble! He had a bad reputation and
suffered along with his people in the time of famine.
The famine, the sword, the wasting away came to
his people because they failed to hear the word God
was saying to them through the prophets. We can see
the heart of Jeremiah in the book of
Lamentations:

'I have become the laughingstock of all
      peoples,
   the object of their taunts all day long.
He has filled me with bitterness;
     he has sated me with wormwood.
He has made my teeth grind on gravel,
     and made me cower in ashes;
my soul is bereft of peace;
     I have forgotten what happiness is;
so I say, "My endurance has perished;
     so has my hope from the Lord."'

The groaning of Jeremiah goes on for five chapters.
But right in the midst the prophet pens these words:

'But this I call to mind,
     and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
     his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
     great is your faithfulness.
"The Lord is my portion," says my soul,
     "therefore I will hope in him."
The Lord is good to those who wait for
     him,
   to the soul who seeks him.
It is good that one should wait quietly
     for the salvation of the Lord.'
(Lamentations 3)

Reader, all of us want to please God. So, what really
pleases our Dad? It pleases Him to see His sons
and daughters worshiping Him in the night seasons.
Say what you feel in the anguish, but always come
back to the place of truth. Put that "thing" at the
feet of Jesus--over and over until you come to the
place of peace.

(This blog was tested in my very own crucible!)

'The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOFh9WFe6k


No comments: