Monday, November 30, 2015

A Grumble

I recently read through James in one sitting. Phrases
popped out:

'Be quick to hear, slow to speak
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not
       bridle his tongue...
The tongue is a fire
No one can tame the tongue
The tongue is a restless evil';

Yuk, I am undone. Perhaps James, the brother of
Jesus, is writing to the unbelievers? No so!

The grumble begins in the mind before it slides out
of the mouth. I've tried to turn off the negativity but
it just seems to grow bigger. David said, 'The fire 
burned and then I spoke.' Words hurt, kill, destroy
joy. Words set an atmosphere of life or death.

The Lord reminded me of an incident back in college.
I got a letter from a boyfriend saying he was dating
my best friend. I was stunned, mad, heartbroken. So
glad I waited a day to write. By the end of that day I
was able to go to God and forgive, surrender, to thank
Him. I woke the next morning--to joy! It filled me so
full that I was unable to connect with the emotions of
the previous day. I sat down and wrote a letter of
blessing.

Reader, I realize that God does not always work in
the instant, but I met Joy that day--His Name is
Jesus--and I can revisit the memory as a place of
hope for this moment. Scripture says it is a process:

'Do not be conformed to this world, but be 
transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by 
testing you may discern what is the will of God, 
what is good and acceptable and perfect.'
Romans 12:2

No comments: