Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Reading Through the Psalms

As a young adult--so many years ago--it was
suggested that I read through the Psalms each
month by date. So, on the first of every month
I would read, Ps 1,31,61,91, 121, and go to the
next one in each group the next day. I stopped
reading the Psalms this year because I was
reading through the Bible chronologically. I have
so enjoyed it but have missed out on beginning
each day with worship. Recently I have gone
back o the Psalms. What have I noticed? Well,
no matter how grouchy the Psalmist is he tends
to end with praise and or thanksgiving to God.

So, reader, weep, wail and complain to God if
you must, but make sure to speak the truth
before leaving that place. If your heart is
grumpy, pick out a psalm that expresses how
you feel and which takes you to the place of
worship. Psalm 13 is a case in point.

'How long O Lord, will you forget me forever?
How long...must I have sorrow in my heart? ...

But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
       my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord, because He has dealt
       bountifully with me.'


No comments: