Monday, September 21, 2015

The Flesh Pool

What is flesh? Good question. Sometimes we find the
word used for the physical body, but scripture also
indicates that flesh is how we get life apart from God.
God never speaks of redeeming the flesh, but that it
must be killed. Where does this flesh come from? It
comes from the patterns we developed in childhood
as a way of protection, as a way to live before we
had a relationship with Christ, on our own against a
scary world.

Romans 8:6-8 gives us a picture of flesh:
"For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind
set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind
set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not
subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even 
able to so; AND THOSE WHO ARE IN THE FLESH
CANNOT PLEASE GOD."

So, how do we please God?
Jesus dwelt here in a body that was flesh. He came "in 
the likeness of man, emptied Himself and took the 
form of a bond servant." Jesus surrendered to love 
and was obedient.

I have Yucky Flesh as opposed to Grade A Vanilla Flesh.
My parents were unable to meet my needs for unearned
love so I became a grabber and tried hard to please
those around me. I wanted to be full, not empty. I came
to Jesus because I heard that He loved unconditionally.
Because my flesh has not changed, I can easily plunge
into working to get my needs met. Moment by moment
I have a choice: I can believe that I have to carry the load
and make life happen--flesh, or I can trust that Jesus has
carried my load and loves me regardless of my actions;
that His abundant life is available and sufficient for this
day--Spirit. Obedience flows out of love and trust.

Reader, do you strive to live a good Christian life so that
God will be pleased with you and love you? Flesh or
Spirit? Walking in both is like the man who had his feet
planted firmly in two boats!

No comments: