Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Question


Glen asked me if I was re-wording scripture to make it 
more interesting. I said that I was using The Message, 
a paraphrase by Eugene Peterson. This version has 
helped me to identify with Job on the emotional level. 
In chapter 9, Job asks a question. Maybe it is a question 
that you, dear reader, have asked. Let’s listen in:

“The question is, “How can mere mortals get right 
with God?”

"If we wanted to bring our case before Him, 
what chance would we have?
Not one in a thousand!
God’s wisdom is so deep, God’s power so immense, 
who could take him on and come out in one piece?”

Then:
“He flips mountains on their heads…”
“He stretches out the heavens”
“He strides on the waves of the sea”

“Who will say to him, ‘What are you doing?’”

I am amazed at the poetry, the pathos expressed by 
Job. His words speak to my imagination and they 
touch my heart. 


No comments: