Tuesday, November 20, 2012

With Thanksgiving


“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with 
thanksgiving.” (Colossians 4:2)

I want to move on, find something exciting that will grab my
readers and hold their interest. Some of you may want me 
to move on too. After all, it is such a small verse. However,
it is pregnant with life and so it has to be eaten in small bites.

How appropriate to find ourselves looking at the word, 
“thanksgiving,” the week we celebrate the holiday. It is 
a day set aside to celebrate, with gratefulness, all we have
received--and we are richly blessed.

Gratefulness means that we understand that we are the
recipients of kindness, and that we are ready to acknowledge
it. It takes humility to express gratefulness. Pride has need of
nothing and no one, but at the center of humility is the 
recognition that I need others because I can’t make it alone.
When the Pilgrims celebrated that first Thanksgiving they 
were giving thanks to God because they KNEW, they would
not have made it without Him. Half of them had died the first 
winter and without the help of a friendly Indian, they would 
have continued to die.

Glen and I have been in many third world countries. We would like
to bring their gift of hospitality so generously given, to this land, but
without having to give up central heating and running water!

Papa, As I think about the coming Thanksgiving Day when we will
gather with some special friends to eat our planned feast, I am so
grateful to you for the abundance I have received on so many levels.
I am especially thankful for the gift of eternal life. 

See “A Fairy Tale Wedding”



No comments: