Monday, November 19, 2012

Be Watchful


Yes, I am still on the same verse!!!

“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with 
thanksgiving.” (Colossians 4:2)

Watchful means “to keep awake, to be vigilant.”

What are we to be watchful of? The government, our enemies, 
current events? No, that is not what Paul is talking about even
though the early church was under persecution.

I found a couple of verses that answer this question:

Watch and pray, that you might not enter into temptation. The spirit
is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41) 

“Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around
like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” (I Peter 5:8)  

Adam was told to watch over the garden. He had no idea what was 
coming his way. The snake took out his wife while he was getting 
a sandwich! The night Jesus warned his disciples about keeping alert 
was the same night he was arrested. The disciples fled and Peter denied 
he knew Jesus.  We as Christians find ourselves broadsided by attacks 
on a regular basis. Our fight is not against flesh and blood. However, 
do you notice that every time failure came God intervened? He lets us 
fall into the pit so He can rescue us! I love this about Him!

When I detach myself from the Vine, I start believing lies about my friends, 
myself, and my God. This combination leaves me feeling isolated and alone. 
As I try to work this out within me, I end up discouraged and depressed. I 
remember a blurb on TV that aired many years ago. It went like this:

“Does God seem far away?”
“Who do you think moved?”

Papa, I thank you that Your love covers my stumbles and failures, that
"All things work together for good to them that love God and are called
according to His purpose."

The time leading up to the wedding, REALLY happened. I know, I was
there!


No comments: