Friday, May 4, 2012

Rachel...Weeping for Her Children


I have penetrated this veil of sorrow, loss and grief, and now,
want to dig deeper. Where do I go? As I ponder this question
stories come to mind. The first one is about women...
“Then Herod, when he saw that he had been tricked by the 
wise men, he became furious, and he sent and killed all the male
children in Bethlehem and in all the region who were two years
old or younger according to the time he had ascertained from 
the wise men. Then was fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet
Jeremiah:”
“A voice was heard in Rama,
weeping and loud lamentation. 
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be comforted, because
they are no more.”  Matt 2:16-18
Violence, death, helplessness, mourning, loss, wailing. Why?
Because a baby was a threat to the reigning king. All the males
two and under in the whole region, are dead. The “prince of 
peace” has arrived--and his birth has brought a sword.
I don’t know about you, dear reader, but the magnitude of pain
in that one verse, takes my breath away. Why? Why did God not
prevent it? Why was there an ancient prophecy? Why did God
allow it, for what purpose?
I think about the women. Mary leaves ahead of the slaughter sitting
on a donkey with her baby safely tucked into her arms, while Rachel 
sits desolate, her arms empty. And where, pray tell, was God in all of this; 
distant, uncaring, asleep?

NO! Papa God was weeping over each woman; He was weeping over the 
dead babies, the little lambs who were now cuddled in His arms. What else 
caused Him to weep? Papa God was looking 33 years ahead and saw 
 HIS only Son, His innocent Lamb, flesh torn, hanging on a Tree.  God
spilling His blood to redeem evil man, even those who had killed the innocent
babes years before.  Another woman is in the picture. Her name is Mary
and she sits weeping, stunned, helpless, full of sorrow.

Papa God, I so misunderstand life when I only look at the now. I have to
see things from your eternal perspective with Your purposes in mind.  I 
still do not understand why the babies were killed, but I do know you
cared and there was redemption.

No comments: