Friday, October 6, 2017

Test Me In This

Test me in this...and see if I will not throw open the flood-
gates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you
will not have room enough for it. Mal 3:10

Here is what God is saying in this verse: "My dear child,
I still have floodgates in heaven, and they are still in my
service. The locks open as easily as before, and the 
hinges have not grown rusty. In fact, I would rather, throw 
them open to pour out the blessings than hold them back. 
I opened them for Moses, and the sea parted. I opened them 
for Joshua, and the Jordan River was stopped. I opened 
them for Gideon, and the armies of the enemy fled. And I 
will open them for you--if you will only let Me.

"On my side of the floodgates, heaven is still the same rich 
storehouse as always. The fountains and streams will over-
flow and the treasure-rooms are still bursting with gifts. 
The need is not on My side but on yours. I am waiting for 
you to 'test Me in this.' But you must first meet the condi-
tion I have set to 'bring the whole tithe into the store-
house,' and thereby give me the opportunity to act.' 

I will never forget my mother's concise paraphrase of this
verse. The actual Bible verse begins with the words, 'Bring 
the whole tithe in to the storehouse' and ends with, 'I will...
pour out so much blessing that,' in effect, 'you will be 
embarrassed over your lack of space to receive it.' But 
my mother's paraphrase was this:
'Give all He asks and take all He promises.'
Samuel Dickey Gordon

Reader, with all of the 'blab it and grab it' we see today it
makes it difficult to receive what God wants to give to us.
At least for me. But, He is a generous God. Jesus said this:

'...give at it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed
down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your 
lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured 
back to you.' Luke 6:38

Paul says this:
...He that sows sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and 
he which sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully...
for  God loves a cheerful (hilarious) giver.' 2 Cor 9:6,7

As I was growing up we went to Chautuaqua summers and
the man who introduced the offering said that the word
'cheerful' meant, 'hilarious' in the Greek!  It made me want
to give lavishly.



No comments: