Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Teach Me

'...God shows his love for us in that while we were 
still sinners, Christ died for us.' (Romans 5:9)

This one was one that I read over frequently when
I was at the University. I like hymns because they
tell a story.

O, Teach Me What it Meaneth

O, teach me what it meaneth--
   That cross uplifted high,
With One--the Man of Sorrows--
   Condemned to bleed and die!
O, teach me what it cost Thee
   To make a sinner whole, teach me
     The value of a soul!

O, teach me what it meaneth--
   That sacred crimson tide--
The Blood and water flowing,
   Form Thine own wounded side
Teach me that if none other
   Had sinned, but I alone,
Yet still, Thy blood, Lord Jesus,
   Thine only, must atone.

O, teach me what it meaneth--
   Thy love beyond compare,
The love that reacheth deeper
   Than depths of self-despair!
Yea, teach me, till there growth
   in this cold heart of mine
Some feeble, pale reflection
   Of that pure love divine.

O, infinite Redeemer!
   I bring no other plea,
Because Thou dost invite me,
   I cast myself on Thee.
Because Thou dost accept me,
   I love and I adore;
Because Thy love constraineth,
   I'll praise Thee evermore!
Lucy Bennett. 




No comments: