Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This Thing Called Piety

My husband is speaking on Piety and it has generated a lively conversation at the dinner table! I asked my daughter what she thought of as piety and she said, “the Pharisees.” When I think of piety, I think of “oughts.” I ought to pray more, read my Bible more, reach out to the poor, share the Gospel more.  Ought and More. Ug! I have spent most of my life trying to attain something in the eyes of God and others. The outside can look good while the inside is a perfect mess of self effort!
BUT, what if piety is a romance? God romancing me? He takes the lead, and I respond. It is a dance. I am cradled in his arms as we glide across the floor called life. He leads; I follow. In the movement of the dance I forget how I look, how I feel, how I move my feet, for I am caught up in Him as His eyes flash with joy. We move together in perfect harmony.  I read His love letter to me (the Bible) and then I talk to Him about it (prayer).  Conversation, courtship, relationship, overflow, all rolled into Piety. Obedience is not difficult when one is in love!

No comments: