Friday, August 5, 2016

To Resist or Surrender?

Back in college I read a small book by this title. It
matched the questions deep within. 'When do I
resist and when do I surrender?' I really didn't want
to look at this too closely. Scripture tells us to obey
and to surrender to God in everything. Frankly, I
often applied the resistance to things I did not like,
things that hurt, things that were straight from the
hand of God whose desires us to be conformed to
His image. He Himself is our shield and nothing can
reach us unless He opens the way: sickness, poverty,
loss, betrayal? YUK! I just want to be happy and
have a worry free life.

What are we then, to resist? The enemy of our souls,
who constantly misrepresents God and accuses us
of failure. Blah, blah, blah.

Peter says:
'Be sober, be vigilant; 
because your adversary, the devil, as a roaring lion, 
walketh about
seeking whom he may devour: 
whom resist 
steadfast in your faith. (2 Peter 5:8,9)

Paul says:
'I beseech you therefore, brethren, 
by the mercies of God, 
that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
holy, acceptable, unto God 
which is your reasonable service. 
And be not conformed to this world, 
but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, 
that ye may prove what is 
that good, and acceptable and perfect will of God. 
(Romans 12: 1,2)

No comments: