Thursday, May 26, 2016

God's Power Brings Silence

God finishes speaking to Habakkuk by comparing
an idol with Himself:

"...there is no breath in it.

But the Lord is in his holy temple;
let all the earth keep silence before Him."

I have to stop here and camp on the last two
phrases.The world is in chaos, everything is
upside-down and God makes a breathtaking
statement. Then the Lord ends the discussion
with Habakkuk in one astounding declaration:

He is God, 
all else are idols. 
Be silent before Him.

Habakuk falls on his face and worships:

"O Lord, I have heard of the power of you,
     and your work, O Lord do I fear.
In the midst of years revive it;
     in the midst of years make it known;
     in wrath remember mercy..."

Oh, God, please remember mercy!!!!

The prophet then covers God's
doings in the land and how He
will rescue; take back his people.

"...splendor covered the heavens
earth full of praise
rays flashed from his hand, 
power was veiled.
He stood and measured the earth
He looked and shook the nations...

You marched through the earth in fury;
You threshed the nations in anger.
You went out for the salvation of your people,
   for the salvation of your anointed...

I hear, and my body trembles;
my lips quiver at the sound;
rottenness enters my bones;
my legs tremble beneath me.
Yet I will quietly wait for the day of trouble
to come upon people who invade us."

Notice how the prophet goes from the third
person to the first person singular?
His emotions are all over the map. He speaks
truth but his body does not behave: Trembling
lips, quivering, legs tremble, rottenness enters
his bones.
Then there is the point where he sighs and says,
'yet I will wait quietly.'
No more questions!

Reader, I hope I am not boring you! I hope you
are able to feel with Habakkuk and that you
take the time to read this small, but powerful
book. The Lord is truly for you!

(See the previous three blogs)

No comments: