Friday, July 18, 2014

The Little Lamb

Well, today will be the last day of the
first verse of Psalm 23--maybe. I know
that I have only scratched the surface.
Surely the whole gospel is packed into
those nine words!

"The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want."

When I was a little girl I was enthralled
with the picture of a shepherd holding a
little lamb around his neck. The story told
was that the lamb refused to stay close to
the shepherd and was in danger. So, the
shepherd broke his leg and then carried
him until he was all better. From then on
the lamb stayed close to the shepherd and
was safe. It was such a comforting story
and the picture went right to my heart. I
very much wanted to be carried, to be
close to the shepherd's heart.

Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd,
the good shepherd lays down his life
for the sheep...I am the good shepherd,
I know my own and my own know Me."
(John 10)

So, you see, dear reader, I cannot read
the first verse of Psalm 23 without wanting
to jump into the arms of my Shepherd. His
Name is Jesus. What a place of safety!

Thankfulness Corner:
Incredibly cool mornings, before the 100 degree slam!

No comments: