Friday, November 22, 2013

Mountains

When I think of mountains I think of both physical
mountains and mountains of problems. The writer
of Psalm 46 is speaking of the physical ones that
cause problems!

(Because) God is our refuge,
(Because) God is abundantly available for help,

"We will not fear, though the
     earth should change,
And though the mountains slip into
     the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains quake at its
     swelling pride. (Psalm 46:2,3)

Yesterday I checked out the earthquakes recorded
around the world in the last 24 hours. There were
53 tremors listed above a two; some related to volcanic
activity. Hierro is one of the islands that makes up
The Canary Island chain off the coast of Africa, but
claimed by Spain. Each of these islands was formed
long ago from volcanic activity. In the last few years
Hierro Island has experienced new activity to the point
that vents formed in the water off shore changing the color
of the water and killing fish. These vents have have
closed but there are multitudes of small earthquake swarms
each day beneath the island with some hard enough to
be felt by the inhabitants. This is not just a local problem.
An active volcano could split the island causing large
chunks to fall into the sea creating a giant Tsunami.
"A mountain slipping into the heart of the sea."

In the last few weeks there was a Typhoon that crossed
the Philippines just weeks after they experienced a killer
earthquake; the middle of our country suffered from
a swath of devastating Tornados.

God says that these things will happen, but because
He is our refuge, we are not to fear. Really? I do not
do well in emergencies. Fear rises. However, God
has given me scripture to camp on. It tells me that
my God IS a very PRESENT help in trouble. He
is my refuge. "He will never leave me nor forsake 
me." I can go with my feelings or with the truth. I can
camp on God's truth whether or not my feelings fall
into line.


   

No comments: