Monday, October 28, 2013

Smitten by God

I was prepared to go on, but the end of the verse
in the last post, held me.

"Surely He has borne our griefs
     and carried our sorrows.
Yet we esteemed Him 
     stricken,
Smitten of God and afflicted."
(Isaiah 53:4)

Those living at that time knew that Jesus called
God his Father, but many Jews had a wrong view
of God. They felt that He was distant, uncaring,
and suspected cruelty on His part. The death of
Jesus only confirmed it for them.

Smugly I tell myself that I know what God is like.
God is a good God. But then I catch a glimpse of
the ugly truth. How easy it is for me to impute evil
to God. I don't get my way and I complain. The
world talks about God's part in wars, famines,
earthquakes, hurricanes. The world says, "where
was God when..?"

The truth of the matter is that when God died that
day outside of Jerusalem, He took all the suffering of
a broken, sinful world into His body. What a Savior!
Reader, do you know Him?

Stories:
http://www.hisvictoriousindwelling.com/stories.html


No comments: