Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sorrows

In verse four of Psalm 16 David says:

"The sorrows of those who run after another 
     god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not
     pour out
or take their names on my lips."

I first fell in love with this psalm in college,
but I did not know what to do with the fourth
verse. I read the meaning as not having anything
to do with those who worshiped a false god--
not even to speak their names. Not so! David
is contrasting his beloved friends, who bring
him delight, to those whose lives multiply sorrow
through the worship of other gods. David will
not enter into that worship or even mention the
names of these gods. Big difference!

He sees that the end for those who do not choose
the Living God, is sorrow. How sad.

stories:
http://www.hisvictoriousindwelling.com/stories.html

No comments: