Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Beautiful Inheritance

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my
     cup. (David changes tenses)
You hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant
     places;
Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance."
(Psalm 16:5,6)

David chooses God as his portion as opposed
to those who choose another God. Then he
says, "You hold my lot, my times, my going
and my coming. It is all good."

I wonder if David wrote those words on a day like
today. The air is crisp with the promise of fall, the
sun is warm; nothing moves except the birds
munching at the feeder. It is a respite from "the
before" and "the next," an in between moment.
As we face a "what next," this verse is particularly
personal. He has held our every decision in the
past and as I look back I see the goodness of the
Lord in every change. Indeed, I have a beautiful
inheritance! God holds my lot and my future.

Reader, this psalm is pithy with plenty of flavor
in every verse. This verse sticks with me like
a bowl of hot oatmeal on a cold morning!

stories:




No comments: