Monday, January 9, 2017

The Unfruitful Branch

It is the Father who works in the vineyard, who checks
each vine for health and fruitfulness. Jesus is the vine
and we are the branches. Jesus says:

'I am the vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 
Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He 
takes away...' John 15:1

This is the first verse of a new subject and Jesus lays
it out before going into depth. I have not heard many
sermons on the subject of fruitfulness and the lack
thereof. He takes away the branches that are not
bearing fruit because, though they are in Jesus, they
are not drawing life from Him. I would say that these
branches are living from their own resources and not
from the Vine. They may look good, but are not
flourishing and are taken away.

Reader, it is very important that we live our Christian
life from the source of Life. A branch that is separated
from its vine withers and so it is in the spiritual realm.
I guess the big question is how does one stay attached?



No comments: