Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hurry Up--and Wait

I don't like the word, "wait." It implies passivity. It
implies inaction. Yet, how often throughout life we
find ourselves waiting for something. I waited to grow
up; I waited for a groom; I waited for children. We
hurried to get the house on the market, but now we
are waiting for it to sell--the buyers we had, backed out.
We are waiting for our furniture to arrive, for the
internet to be in place. It feels to me like the first book
of The Narnia Tales, where the children get stuck in a
world where nothing happens. We have left the area
where we lived for 20 years, but we cannot see clearly
what is ahead. There is grief over the loss of friends and
our neighborhood. Someone once likened moving to
the stress and anguish of a divorce.

This morning I had a chat:
"Papa, I don't like this. It feels like it has been going on
forever. And, I have nothing to say to my readers."

I heard Him whisper:
"My darling Jane, 'Be still and know that I am God.'"

No comments: