Thursday, January 24, 2013

Devastating Losses


By the end of chapter one, Job has lost the following in quick succession:

  • All of his donkeys
  • All of his sheep
  • All of his camels
  • All seven of his children--in the blink of an eye!

“Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, 
and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said, 

‘Naked I came from my mother’s womb.
And naked I shall return there.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.’
Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.”
(Job 1:20-22)

Job’s life had suddenly drastically changed forever. What did it cost this man, 
who was consumed by grief, to fall to the ground--and worship?  Dear reader,
just imagine that you are Job and in one day everything is gone, including the 
ones you love the most; your future. About seven years ago I gave God all 
of my rights: The right to good health, the right to healthy relationships, the right 
to be understood, even the right to be fruitful--the list was not short. Within a 
few months almost all were accepted. It was devastating. Not in my wildest 
imagination did I believe He would touch my heart the way that He did. 
Perhaps you, too, have unanswered questions and mountains of pain. 
Then, join me on this journey as we unpack the book of Job. 

No comments: