Monday, August 6, 2018

Deep Travail

Walking around in the fire. Daniel 3:25

When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were thrown
into the furnace, the fire did not stop them from moving,
for they were seen "walking around." Actually, the fire
was one of the streets they traveled to their destination.
The comfort we have from Christ's revealed truth is not
that it teaches us freedom from sorrow, but that it teaches
us freedom through sorrow.

O dear God, when darkness overshadows me, teach me 
that I am merely traveling through a tunnel. It will then 
be enough for me to know that someday it will be all right.

I have been told that someday I will stand on the top of the 
Mount of Olives and experience the height of resurrection 
glory. But heavenly Father, I want more--I want Calvary to 
lead up to it. I want to know that the shadows of darkness 
are the shade on a road--the road leading to Your heavenly 
house. Teach me that the reason I must climb the hill is be-
cause Your house is there! Knowing this, I will not be hurt 
by sorrows, if I will only walk in the fire. 
George Matheson  1842-1906

George Matheson was a blind Scottish pastor widely be-
loved for his beautiful sermons. He also wrote the hymn
"O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go" during a time he des-
cribed as "the most severe mental suffering." Written in
only five minutes, Matheson claimed the hymn was "dic-
tated to me by some inward voice."

Reader, The dark night of the soul comes to all who fol-
low their Lord. It is the Christian's common bond with
one another, and with the crucified Christ. I pray that this
blog will bring you comfort in knowing that God is in
the mix of everything that befalls you, and, He is coming
soon! In the meantime we walk through the tunnel to-
ward the light that will bring us into freedom and joy--
forever!

A longer biography
https://www.joshweidmann.com/blind-preacher-saw-quite-well-short-bio-george-matheson/

The beautiful hymn written on a terrible night of suffering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt69WDtYNLo&list=RDnt69WDtYNLo&index=2



No comments: