Thursday, July 19, 2018

To Know Him

That I may know Him.  Philippians 3:10

The initiative of the saint is not towards self-reali-
zation, but towards knowing Jesus Christ. The spiri-
tual saint never believes circumstances to be hapha-
zard, or thinks of his life as secular and sacred; he 
sees everything he is dumped down in as the means 
of securing the knowledge of Jesus Christ. There is 
a reckless abandonment about him. The Holy Spirit 
is determined that we shall realize Jesus Christ in e-
very domain of life, and He will bring us back to the 
same point again and again until we do. Self-realiza-
tion leads to enthronement of work. Whether it be 
eating or drinking or washing disciples' feet, what-
ever it is, we have to take the initiative of realizing 
Jesus Christ in it. Every phase of our actual life has 
its counterpart in the life of Jesus. Our Lord realized
His relationship to the Father even in the most men-
ial work. 

"Jesus knowing...
that He was come from God, and was going to God...
Took a towel... 
and began to wash the disciples' feet."

The aim of the spiritual saint is "that I may know
Him." Do you know Him today? If not, I am fail-
ing Him. I am here not to realize myself, but to
know Jesus. In Christian work the initiative is too
often the realization that something has to be done
and I must do it. That is never the attitude of the
spiritual saint; his aim is to secure the realization
of Jesus Christ in every set of circumstances he is
in. Oswald Chambers

Reader, it is interesting to me that whoever is follow-
ing the devotional, My Utmost for His Highest, will
recognize the three blogs as coming to them recently.
I have not paid attention to the dates, but it seems to
me that these treasures are worthy of repetition!

This one, "He will bring us back to the same point un-
til we do," has been the story of most of my life. A-
round and around the same mountain, but in recent
years it is not as much. Praise God for His faithfulness.
He won't let me get away with anything!

No comments: