Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Strangers and Pilgrims

The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the
world all who dwell in it. Psalm 24:1

The true Christian, in strict propriety of speech, has no
home here: he is, and must be, a stranger and a pilgrim
upon the earth: his citizenship, treasure, and real home
are in a better world; and every step he takes, whether
to the east or west, is a step nearer to his Father's house.

On the other hand, when in the path of duty, he is always 
at home, for the whole earth is the Lord's: and, as we see 
the same sun in England or Italy, in Europe or Asia, so, 
wherever he is, equally sets the Lord always before him, 
and finds himself equally near the Throne of Grace at all 
times and in all places. God is everywhere; and, by faith 
in the Great Mediator, he dwells in God, and God in him.
John Newton 1725-1807

Reader, even as a child I knew this was not my home, as
I bellowed out the song, "This world is not my home, I'm 
just a passin' through. My treasure is laid up somewhere 
beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's o-
pen door, and I can't stay at home in this world anymore." 
Now, 65 or so years later I realize just how quickly life
passes and where our treasure really lies.

John Newton is a showcase of God's power both to save
and redeem one who despised anything good. Newton's
godly mother died when he was seven but her prayers
and words surely kept him alive and brought him to God
at just the right time.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/history/people/pastorsandpreachers/john-newton.html


No comments: