Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Love Passes Knowledge

The love of Christ, which passes knowledge...
Ephesians 3:19

It passeth knowledge, that dear love of Thine,
My Savior Jesus! Yet this soul of mine
Would of Thy love, in all its breadth and length
Its height and depth, and everlasting strength,
     Know more and more.

It passeth telling, that dear love of Thine,
My Savior Jesus! Yet these lips of mine
Would fain proclaim to sinners far and near
A love which can remove all guilty fear,
     And love beget.

It passeth praises, "that dear love of Thine,
My Savior Jesus! Yet this heart of mine
Would sing that love, so full so rich so free,
Which brings a rebel sinner, such as me,
     Nigh unto God.

O fill me, Savior, Jesus with Thy love!
Lead, lead me to the living fount above;
Thither may I, in simple faith draw nigh,
And never to an other fountain fly,
     But unto Thee

And then Lord Jesus, when Thy face I see,
When at Thy lofty throne I bow the knee,
Then of Thy love, in all its breadth and length,
Its height and depth, its everlasting strength,
     My soul shall sing.
Mary Shekleton 1827-83

Reader, this was one of my favorite hymns
in college. I love hymns because they tell
a story AND they come in parts--alto, bass,
soprano. Most of the old hymns are based
in scripture.

I received this small hymnal with words only, prin-
ted in England, in 1968 when I went on staff with
Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship--or IVCF. Many
months ago it disappeared and I was deeply grieved
as I searched everywhere. Perhaps, I thought, I had
thrown it out for it is so small. About four weeks
ago I pleaded with God to show me where the book
had gone. I looked down at a bookcase I had care-
fully searched and there it was on its back behind
the other books, an open space revealed my treasure.

O the depth of His love for us!
It is past finding out!


No comments: